Starlight Chat Network
MESSAGE FORUMS

News:

• Registration must be approved by Owner to help prevent spam
  • SLCN does not condone drama posts on the forums. They will be removed!
  • Chat Resort forum closed and will be done here from this point on.

News

SLCN does not condone drama posts on the forums. They will be removed!

Thank You

David · 2230

Offline David

• The Boss Man
  • Administrator
  • SLCN Onwer
    • Starlightchat.com
on: September 02, 2020, 09:37:13 PM
I just wanted to say thank you once more to everyone who has supported the site over the past 20, soon to be 21 years this month. If it wasn't for everyone the site wouldn't have lasted as long as it has. That is the truth. So thank you....

As everyone knows the site will be closing down on the 30th. So I just wanted to put something up to say just how thankful.

I started starlightchat with three others starting out. First it was just a thought because I just got simply tired of bouncing around on the sites that I had visited over the years. I don't need to go into detail of the reasons why I was bouncing, each site I had visited had their own good and bad points. But it became time I wanted a bit of a challenge. So a once time friend and I met up with another in my local area. The guy at the time had more web experience than I had so it worked out. We started out on one of the worst chat servers possible. It was a demo version, a message would pop up after so many posts that was just very annoying but hey it did what it was supposed to do. Later we found a better version of it to remove the demo, but still as you know over time you need to update things. The site ran on a simple DSL connection speed, so yes very slow, and at times had some down times because of power related issues. Again not the best setup, but I did what I could at the time. Later on after a little dispute, I had to even give up the starlightchat.com address until I was able to claim it again.  And I ended up opening starlightchat.net in it's place. I had to find a hosting provider at this point. I found a few over the years, some good some bad but that is how it goes. The sites was doing very well at the time, very well to the sites paid the server costs etc. I paid nearly $1500 out because I was able to save back, save up and I purchased the software you see on Chatropolis Underground currently. Yes I had that software and while it was buggy it was much better than what I was running with before. It was a good run with it for a couple of years. After a while I eventually dished out another $500 for the software you see today, Then upgrades to that, scripts for it, the costs added up pretty much what the previous was. Prices of servers went up because the site needed far more resources.  What was a hobby of sorts turned into a legit small business run for me.

Sure the site has had it's share of hiccups over the years, but a lot of sites have, not just web chat either.

Unfortunately, over the past few years I have had a lot to take on, family health issues, the passing of my father, whom on the 16th will be one year of his passing and to this day it still hurts me. And honestly I think a huge part of that has took a toll on me on wanting to keep things running.  Then the site became a bit more unstable as of late. The server provider that I am going through let an IP address go that was running starlight at one point. That hurt because since then everything has gotten so out of place. Then the server upgraded itself, which shouldn't be an issue but it did, it caused the chat server to screw completely up. Posting weird things, jumbling everything else and scripts such as the banner posting option to stop working entirely started to happen. I had the server reverted back to the previous state of the update to remedy the issue. Unfortunately that is just a patch. Upgrades must happen, and because of this it's not allowing the chat server to run as clean as it should be. Unfortunately at this time because of lack of memberships, people going else where etc. I don't have the funds as I once had to put into getting something written up. Yes I know some of you have reached out about trying to help with costs, but trust me it's a not so cheap price to get a person experienced enough, much less finding the correct person who will put my vision into work. Trust me I have spoken to a few over this year, each one said they can do this and that, promised they could do the work, but not even one of them came onto a site or to a off site chat room to see how it works first. How can they even know what I want if they don't take the time to do that?

Anyway, once again I know I posted this before but Thank you everyone for the support of the site all these years. I didn't know when I would get a chance to post this, because the 1 year of my fathers passing is coming up, plus other things in r/t that has taken me away for most part.

I plan to take the Test Site I put up and place it on it's own domain name. It will not be "starlight chat" , because if I can't provide something similar to what we have now but updated then I won't try to pass it off as anything else. For those who wish to keep in touch you can do that by going to that site that I will name in the future. Until then feel free to sign up, visit, share your thoughts, just be respectful when doing so.

https://www.starlightchat.com/main/

“Everything has to come to an end, sometime.”

― L. Frank Baum, The Marvelous Land of Oz

Offline Jayson

• SLC Fanatic
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 09:14:43 PM
I wish I could have been around a lil more this month knowing the site will be closing down in the next twelve days....unfortunately I was hit with the current COVID-19 and just completely wiped out from it.

I'm not sure if I will find the energy to make it back before the closing but I just wanted to say Thank You David for all the years you have given us all here on Starlight.... I know I never was a easy one to work with in regards of the constant complaints over removing people from My room at times but I thank you for taking the time in doing so.... It just shows what a good site owner you are.... I wish you all the best David.

I wish everyone the best....

peace

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline David

• The Boss Man
  • Administrator
  • SLCN Onwer
    • Starlightchat.com
Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 12:33:26 AM
Completely understand Jayson, Thank you for the kind words and your support over the years.

I hope you feel better!

I wish I could have been around a lil more this month knowing the site will be closing down in the next twelve days....unfortunately I was hit with the current COVID-19 and just completely wiped out from it.

I'm not sure if I will find the energy to make it back before the closing but I just wanted to say Thank You David for all the years you have given us all here on Starlight.... I know I never was a easy one to work with in regards of the constant complaints over removing people from My room at times but I thank you for taking the time in doing so.... It just shows what a good site owner you are.... I wish you all the best David.

I wish everyone the best....

peace

“Everything has to come to an end, sometime.”

― L. Frank Baum, The Marvelous Land of Oz