Starlight Chat Network
MESSAGE FORUMS

News:

• Registration must be approved by Owner to help prevent spam
  • SLCN does not condone drama posts on the forums. They will be removed!
  • Chat Resort forum closed and will be done here from this point on.

News

SLCN does not condone drama posts on the forums. They will be removed!

Thank you everyone

David · 3313

Offline David

• The Boss Man
  • Administrator
  • SLCN Onwer
    • Starlightchat.com
on: May 29, 2020, 02:40:21 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for the kind messages over the past few weeks/months regarding closing the sites.  I do  appreciate the kind words in regards of not wanting to see the site closing. I want to be very open and honest in regards of the reason behind the choice. And also point out that it was not an easy choice to make on my part as well. Giving up on something I have done for 20 years strong was not a simple solution for me.

The reasons behind the site closing is really focused on a few main factors.

1. The chat software is nearly as old or older than I have been running the site. The creator is no longer supporting updates for it.  Meaning issues that come up now a days will soon become far worse. In order to make sure the site is as secure as possible I need to be able to update the main server. The last time I did this it created a huge issue in the rooms where posting images was not working correctly, and things posted was all getting jumbled up as well. So the software being old is causing an issue in those regards because it's not being updated to support certain upgrades and fixes.

2. The dead room issues. Over the years I haven't been bothered to much in regards of people purchasing a room on the site and as well at another site. Unfortunately though then, money costs wasn't much of a issue for me to be able to keep things running without a worry of things. Now a days prices increases,  the more I have to pay out of my own pocket. Room purchases has been slowing for years now, people finding elsewhere to chat while their rooms sit empty here doesn't exactly express to me that this site is worth the costs. 

3.  Last year my father passed away. And to be honest that really took a huge hit on me in regards of life.  My mother who still has her own health issues, I also have other family members going through health issues as well. Because of all that around it's been a rough few years. And my response time has not been up to par for the site. Sometimes me answering very late in regards of tech support, general emails etc.  I feel personally I let the sites down when this happens. And honestly, as I pointed out before I just don't feel safe inviting another in to help me at this time because of the trust factor. Chris as you all know has a busy life, and it really has prevented him from being around. For those who know and remember him. And the other person who was helping at the time if you want to call it that, considering all he did was call me when a issue came up, or sent me a message much like everyone else, through his weight around as a "Admin" but was no more than a moderator,  decided to break a huge trust issue by telling everyone who would give and ear about my personal life. Someone I knew from 7th grade and one I had considered like a brother. So being able to trust someone with others info is not a option to me.

So with those factors....

1. In order to be able to keep this site going, I need new software to run it on. Now I have tested several different setups of chat but they are entirely different than what is setup here on Starlight and Chat Resort currently. One of those setups I have tested is what I called VIP Chat on Chat Resort. No you don't need to be a member in order to sign up for it. It's there to be used. I named it a VIP, as a extra bonus to those who wish to use it. VIP to me since you have to "sign" up freely in order to chat. But the style of this setup is completely different as I mentioned and honestly not many seem to care for it because of the format we have currently. So in order for me to really feel safe about running things, I would need to look at getting new software. Unfortunately anything of this setup is not for sale. If it is and someone knows of where, hey point me in the direction and I'll look into it. Other wise it's going to cost me in order to have something created. And that can be very costly. Something I have looked into, trust me I have. I don't have the skill set to write scripts of my own creation. I have some great ideas of what I would like for this place to have but that is far as it can go.

2.  Looking into those other options, also brings up that second issue factor for me. Is it really worth the trouble of saving up, looking for help if the rooms remain so quiet and everyone focuses what time they have elsewhere?  I'm not saying this to come off as I'm pointing fingers or anything. Your time is your time right?, but when SLC and CR come as a after thought, while other places gain more....it's a problem to me.

I do appreciate as I said the kind words, thoughts and most of all everyone being patient with me.

“Everything has to come to an end, sometime.”

― L. Frank Baum, The Marvelous Land of Oz

Offline THE BITCH

• SLC Fanatic
Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 06:27:49 PM
David

Thank you so much for letting us know what's going on ..

Even though I don't own the room … the "owner" has disappeared …. I would be more than willing to take over Sanctuary .. and pay whatever dues there are to do that

I believe I've mentioned before .. I love this site .. it's very well run … however saying that .. I also understand how you feel .. I haven't moved sites … I'm hanging on in the hopes you have second thoughts

Take care of you first

TB

Offline Burleyman

• SLC Fanatic
Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 02:53:17 PM
I’ve told you before and I’ll mention it again , I’m willing to share in whatever extra costs there would be to keep this place going .
I’m really sorry that it bothers you that others go to different sites , but sometimes you need to go elsewhere to meet new people is My reasoning . I don’t own anywhere else and don’t really care to .
I’ve never thought your response time to any of the many problems I’ve troubled you with was slow or have I ever felt inconvenienced at all . I’m willing to work with you on whatever needs the site has .
Still hoping you change your mind .

Offline David

• The Boss Man
  • Administrator
  • SLCN Onwer
    • Starlightchat.com
Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 10:27:34 PM
David

Thank you so much for letting us know what's going on ..

Even though I don't own the room … the "owner" has disappeared …. I would be more than willing to take over Sanctuary .. and pay whatever dues there are to do that

I believe I've mentioned before .. I love this site .. it's very well run … however saying that .. I also understand how you feel .. I haven't moved sites … I'm hanging on in the hopes you have second thoughts

Take care of you first

TB

Thank you for understanding...and staying upon the site until the end. Much appreciated.....

Offline David

• The Boss Man
  • Administrator
  • SLCN Onwer
    • Starlightchat.com
Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 10:31:55 PM
I’ve told you before and I’ll mention it again , I’m willing to share in whatever extra costs there would be to keep this place going .
I’m really sorry that it bothers you that others go to different sites , but sometimes you need to go elsewhere to meet new people is My reasoning . I don’t own anywhere else and don’t really care to .
I’ve never thought your response time to any of the many problems I’ve troubled you with was slow or have I ever felt inconvenienced at all . I’m willing to work with you on whatever needs the site has .
Still hoping you change your mind .

Thank you, I do appreciate that you want to be able to help with some of the costs of the site to help  keep it going. I have had a few offer the very same, even offering to want to run the sites while i just do the behind the work scenes. I just don't feel comfortable doing that honestly. And as I pointed out the chat server is becoming much harder to deal with as things are being updated around older software. The only way that could happen is if I find someone whom  would write a new for a decent enough price. If I was to stumble upon something for that nature, I would be willing to do something of a donation thing if I felt it would gather enough. If I knew the sites would benefit from that I would look a bit more deeper but honestly I think a lot of the sites running this setup has started to take a dip.

I always have tried to be prompt when responding to people and concerns on the site. But even I know I been a little extra behind that usual. But thank you again for the kind words.

Offline NightMaster

• SLC Fanatic
Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 04:55:07 PM
David,  I just want to let you know, over the years, you have run this place with zest, integrity, and class,  something you do not find much around chat sites anymore. Everyone that has owned a room here, as I still do,  and Ffriends that have owned rooms here,  and still do, also, all feel the same..
I do understand your reasoning for you decision, sadly as it is, but you have been through a lot. 20 yrs is a long time, and you have never let Us down.
I am going to look into your other site.. and most likely will be a Patron there...
I will take advantage of the last 9 days here...
I do wish you well.. in all you set out to do, and most important,  your health..
Its been an honor to own a room at Starlight... I wish you only the best in your new path...

NightMaster

Offline David

• The Boss Man
  • Administrator
  • SLCN Onwer
    • Starlightchat.com
Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 12:37:56 AM
David,  I just want to let you know, over the years, you have run this place with zest, integrity, and class,  something you do not find much around chat sites anymore. Everyone that has owned a room here, as I still do,  and Ffriends that have owned rooms here,  and still do, also, all feel the same..
I do understand your reasoning for you decision, sadly as it is, but you have been through a lot. 20 yrs is a long time, and you have never let Us down.
I am going to look into your other site.. and most likely will be a Patron there...
I will take advantage of the last 9 days here...
I do wish you well.. in all you set out to do, and most important,  your health..
Its been an honor to own a room at Starlight... I wish you only the best in your new path...

NightMaster

NightMaster, Thank you for the kind words and your support over the years,
20 years certainly was long run, I met some really great people over those years, including yourself.

I do wish you the same, thank you!